Surgery is essentially an important aspect of Medical PG entrance owing to its high weight age in entrance exams.
Owing to the vast syllabi of Surgery, it is impossible to remember everything during the exam. Therefore, a selective study is the best approach to prepare Surgery for Medical PG entrance.
This article will highlight the approach which should be followed while preparing for Surgery and the important topics of Surgery from Medical PG exam perspective.
Best Tips to Prepare Surgery for Medical PG Entrance
- Almost 20-40 Questions are asked from Surgery in all Medical PG exams.
- Most questions of systemic radiology are covered in Surgery. So keep in mind the investigation of choice for every topic.
- Aspirants must develop a knowledge of applied anatomy while studying surgery
- Aspirants must be thorough with the latest BLS and ACLS guidelines
Approach for Studying Surgery for AIIMS Exam
- Always study surgery in a protocol manner.
- In most situations, some intervention would have been done and the question will arise as to what to do next.
Important Topics Of Surgery for Medical PG Entrance Exams
Surgery can be broadly divided into:
- General Surgery
- Abdomen Surgery
- Miscellaneous Surgery
1. Abdominal Surgery
This is the largest portion of the surgery.
a. Important Topics with Tips
- Concentrate on the different types of cancers
- Treatment of cancers is usually not very important
- Prognostic Factors for the different cancers are the most important.
- For Ca Colon, aspirants should focus on preparing the stages and the treatment for every stage, prognostic factors and the relevant anatomy for Colon Cancer.
b. Gall Bladder
This is the most important part of abdominal surgery.
- Strictures and the operative management of strictures
- Complications which occur during Gall Bladder surgery
- Aspirants must focus on Anatomy of Liver since a lot of questions are asked in Medical PG Entrance from this topic
- Portal Hypertension: This is a highly important topic and should be interlinked with Medicine and Paediatrics.
This section contributes comparatively lesser questions in PG exams. So it’s not as important as the other topics
Important Topics from Urology
- Ca Prostate and the upcoming treatments for Ca Prostate
- Congenital Anomalies should be covered with Paediatric Surgery
- Paediatric Surgery should not be neglected. At least one question is asked from Paediatric Surgery. It is short but a high yield topic.
3. Miscellaneous Surgery
This section carries the maximum weight age in Medical PG Entrance.
Important Topics are highlighted below:
This is by far the most important topic of surgery and will appear in your exam.
The important topics under this section are:
- Ca Breast
- Benign lesions of the breast and their classification
- Aspirants must study Ca Breast in great depth.
- A lot of questions are asked on the approach to a patient with Ca Breast
- Triple Assessment
- Stages and Symptoms of Ca Breast and treatment for each stage
Important Topics are
- Approach to solitary thyroid nodule is very important.
- All 4 types of Ca Thyroid Cancers – can be covered in Pathology or Surgery
Important Topics are
Basics of liver and kidney transplant with Indications and Contraindications
This is a highly scoring section provided that you read the question carefully. Use your common sense while answering questions on trauma.
You must prepare the ABCDE approach thoroughly since questions are frequently asked from the approach.
e. Vascular Surgery
It is a very vast topic but not very important.
Important Topics under Vascular Surgery
- Varicose veins and its Treatment
- Graphs for Arterial Anastomosis
4. General Surgery
The important topics under this are Burns, wound contamination, surgical site infection and nutrition.
Preparing the above mentioned topics from Surgery will get you a good score in this subject in any PG entrance exam.