Pathology is a very important subject of MBBS. 40-50 direct or indirect questions appear from pathology in PG entrance exams.
A majority of the candidates find this subject tough and challenging. Keeping the candidates’ concern in mind, we have compiled this article that will cast light on the most important topics of Pathology for Medical PG entrance.
When in doubt you must refer to latest edition of Robbins’ Pathology since it has been written keeping in mind South-East Asia.
Most Important Topics of Pathology for Medical PG Entrance
I. Cell as a Unit of Health & Disease
- Cell Genome- In this, you need to prepare Epigenetics and how to diagnose a case of Epigenetics.
- Types of Collagen, where they are located and the diseases which occur due to their deficiency.
- Stem cells
II. Cell Adaptation, Repair and Injury
This chapter is very important and must not be missed.
- Reversible Injury
- Irreversible Injury
- Difference between Reversible & Irreversible Injury
- Calcification and their examples
- Factors which lead to increased vascular permeability (Regularly repeated)
- Cellular events of Inflammation
- Mediators of Inflammation
- Cell Repair and the day-wise approach
- Mendelian Inheritance – Autosomal Dominant & Autosomal Recessive. Be cautious of the fact that all dominant diseases do not present like autosomal recessive.
- Factors affecting autosomal dominant diseases such as Co-dominance, Pleiotropism, etc.
- Examples of Automosal Dominant and Autosomal Recessive
- Non-Mendelian Inheritance such as Trinucleotide Repeat and Silencing
- Genomic Imprinting, Maternal and Paternal Disomy
- Neoplasia – Try to remember only the most important mutations.
- Tumor suppressor Genes - Prepare the ones present in the Nucleus
- Warbug effect
- Tumor markers used in Diagnostic and Prognostic field nowadays
If you prepare Immunity from Pathology, there is no need to prepare Immunity from Microbiology.
- NK cells, Dendritic Cells and Antigen preventing cells
- Amyloidosis is very very important
There are 3 units in this – RBCs, WBCs and Coagulation
Important Topics of WBC
- AML – in particular reference to the new WHO 2008 Classifications
- CML is very important topic and must not be missed
Important Topics of RBC
- Haemolytic Anaemia (Sickle cell Anaemia, Thallasemia)
- Sicle Cell Anaemia - Mutations and the factors which increase or decrease Sickling
- Thallasemia – Peripheral Smear finding
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia – Prepare the difference between Iron Deficiency Anaemia and Anaemia of Chronic Disease
- Differential diagnosis of Pancytopenia – Pancytopenia with cellular bone marrow and Pancytopenia with Acellular Bone Marrow.
Important Topics of Coagulation
- Primary hemostatic plug
- Secondary hemostatic plug
- Deficiency of Coagulation Factors
- Von Willebrand disease
VII. Systemic Pathology
This topic can be covered with Medicine.
- Lung Cancers
- Endothyroid Carcinoma.
- Mesothelioma and the Histological Difference between Mesothelioma and Adenocarcinoma
- Thyroid Carcinoma – Types
- CNS Tumors
Other Important topics
- Different types of nephritis (Membranous, Minimal Change disease)
- Focal Segmental glomerulosclerosis.
- Alcoholic liver disease.
- Non Alcoholic liver disease.
- NASH (Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis)
- NAFLS (Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease)
Also read: How to study all 19 subjects for NEET PG.
We are sure that this article will definitely acquaint the aspirants with the most important topics of Pathology for Medical PG Entrance.
Prepare the Aforesaid topics to Excel in Pathology in Medical PG entrance.
Stay Tuned for the latest updates on Medical PG preparation!