Pathology is a highly significant subject from FMGE perspective. 40 - 50 Direct or Indirect questions are framed from Pathology in FMGE. This subject appears challenging to a majority of candidates owing to its extensive syllabus.
In order to aid the aspirants in their preparation of Pathology, we have devised this article which will bring forth the Preparation Tips and the Most Important Topics of Pathology for FMGE.
When in uncertainty, you must refer to the latest edition of Robbins’ Pathology since it has been compiled keeping South- East Asia in consideration.
Preparation Tips & Most Important Topics of Pathology for FMGE
I. Cell as a Unit of Health & Disease
- Cell Genome - In this, you need to focus on Epigenetics and the Approach to diagnose a case of Epigenetics.
- Types of Collagen, their location and Diseases which occur owing to their Deficiency.
- Stem Cells
II. Cell Adaptation, Repair & Injury
This unit is highly significant and must not be omitted.
- Reversible & Irreversible Injury
- Distinction between Reversible & Irreversible Injury
- Thoroughly prepare Apoptosis
- Concentrate on Calcification & their examples
Important Topics under this unit:
- Factors resulting in Increased Vascular Permeability (Frequently asked)
- Concentrate on Cellular Events of Inflammation
- Thoroughly prepare Mediators of Inflammation
- Cell Repair and Day-wise Approach
Important Topics under this unit:
- Mendelian Inheritance – Autosomal Dominant & Autosomal Recessive. Remain cautious of the fact that all Dominant Diseases do not have the same symptoms as Autosomal Recessive
- Factors impacting Autosomal Dominant Diseases such as Co-dominance, Pleiotropism, etc
- Examples of Autosomal Dominant & Autosomal Recessive Diseases
- Concentrate on Non – Mendelian Inheritance such as Trinucleotide Repeat and Silencing
- Thoroughly prepare Genomic Imprinting, Maternal and Paternal Disomy
- Neoplasia – Focus on only the Most Important Mutations
- Tumor Suppressor Genes – Prepare the ones situated in the Nucleus
- Focus on Warbug Effect
- Emphasize on Tumor markers used in Diagnostic and Prognostic field nowadays
You can prepare Immunity from either Pathology or Microbiology. Preparing it from either one of the two would be sufficient.
- Focus on NK Cells, Dendritic Cells and Antigen preventing Cells
- Thoroughly prepare Amyloidosis as it is very very significant
Hematology can be classified into 3 units:
Important Topics under WBCs
- Focus on ALL, CLL, DLBCL and Burkitts
- Thoroughly prepare AML in specific reference to the latest WHO 2008 Classifications
- CML is a highly substantial topic and must not be omitted
Important Topics under RBCs
- Haemolytic Anemia (Sickle cell Anemia, Thalassemia)
- Sickle Cell Anemia – In this, you must focus on Mutations and the Factors which Increase or Decrease Sickling
- Thalassemia – In this, focus on Peripheral Smear finding
- Iron Deficiency Anemia
- Prepare the Distinction between Iron Deficiency Anemia and the Anemia of Chronic Disease
- Differential diagnosis of Pancytopenia
- In this, you must focus on Pancytopenia with Cellular Bone Marrow and Pancytopenia with Acellular Bone Marrow
Important Topics under Coagulation
- Focus on Primary hemostatic plug & Secondary hemostatic plug
- Emphasize on Deficiency of Coagulation Factors & DIC
- Focus on Von Willebrand disease
VI. Systemic Pathology
This unit can also be covered from Medicine.
- Focus on Lung Cancers & Endothyroid Carcinoma
- Prepare CNS Tumors, RCC and Types of Thyroid Carcinoma
- Thoroughly prepare Mesothelioma and Histological Distinction between Mesothelioma and Adenocarcinoma
VIII. Other Important Topics
- Focus on Casts and Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis
- Thoroughly prepare Different types of nephritis (Membranous, Minimal Change Disease)
- Thoroughly prepare Alcoholic liver disease and Non-Alcoholic liver Disease
- Focus on NASH (Non- Alcoholic Steatohepatitis) & NAFLS (Non- Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease)
- In this, you must thoroughly prepare Schwannoma, Medulloblastoma and Astrocytoma
Preparing the above-listed topics would definitely help you to excel in Pathology in FMGE.
Stay Tuned for More Updates on FMGE!