The Supreme Court today (28th April 2016) agreed to conduct NEET UG this year.
A petition filed by the Centre ministry and Medical Council of India (MCI), seeking review of Supreme Court’s 2013 judgement that scrapped National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) has been accepted.
NEET being accepted for UG means that it will be the only exam for entrance in PG medical courses in 2017.
- AIPMT will be conducted as planned on 1st May and it will be considered as phase 1 of NEET.
- Whereas a second exam will be conducted in July for those who have not registered for AIPMT. It will be considered as Phase 2 of NEET.
- Admissions will be delayed this year and get ready for a lot of confusion as this exam is being conducted in a rush.
Keep following PrepLadder for more latest updates on NEET case.
What is NEET?
National eligibility cum entrance test is a single test for admissions in all medical and dental courses in India. Including MBBS, BDS and PG courses.
What does it mean?
Since NEET is sanctioned there will be no state entrance exams and no deemed or private university exams. However, AIIMS PG, PGI and DNB-CET exams will still be conducted separately.
The pattern of exam will be like AIPGMEE as the exam conducting authority will stay the same(NBE).
- This move will curb the corruption in Medical education and promote merit. Since the exam is central there will be no more “Paid Seats” in medical education system.
- Even somebody looking to get a seat in management or NRI quota will have to score the minimum qualifying marks in NEET. This will surely raise the standard of medical services in India as a whole.
- Candidates will get only one shot for admission. If they don’t perform on that one day they will have to wait a whole year for another chance.
- This will increase pressure on candidates taking the exam.
- NEET 2013 was given by 90,000 candidates, whereas AIPGMEE is given by 70,000 candidates.
So the competition will increase if NEET comes back.
Do you think this is a good move by MCI?
Do you support “One nation, One examination”?
Let us know in the comments below.