Microbiology is a challenging subject as you need to memorize lot of terms and complex processes. Thus, a good strategy is a must to prepare this subject.
Study with the help of a well prepared study plan and plan should be such that enough time is procured in order to cover all the important topics and no time is wasted. Also, you can quickly prepare this subject as most of its topics can be easily correlated with pathology topics which we have earlier discussed.
Moreover, previous year’s paper analysis revealed that majority of the microbiology questions came with an image. Therefore, theory and images must be prepared to score high in microbiology for MDS entrance exams.
This blog will cast light upon how to prepare this subject and imperative topics that you should not miss while preparing microbiology.
Tips to prepare:
- Acquaint yourself well with basic principles of microbiology that are equally important which students often forget.
- Use mnemonics for easy learning of names of various microorganisms.
- Use flashcards and charts to properly organize information and longer retention.
- Use visual aids as it improves memory recall and are needed to learn the facts by associating them with picture.
Section-wise predominant topics to be prepared for microbiology are:
To prepare microbiology, it is important to know the basic principles. Thus, sterilization including autoclave, moist heat, hot air oven etc is an important topic in this section as questions have been asked frequently from this topic.
Other topics important in this section are:
- Disinfection: phenols, aldehydes
- Immunology: interlukins, immunoglobulins (IgA, IgG, IgE)
- Hypersensitive reactions: anaphylaxis
This is the most important section of microbiology. If you have already prepared general pathology, then these topics will be like revision for you as pathogenesis and clinical features of the diseases have already been covered in the pathology.
However, you must familiarize with causative agents of various diseases along with their morphology. Also know diagnostic tests for the diseases.
Important topics under this section include:
- Clostridium tetani/welchii
- DPT vaccine
- Bacterial culture: culture, its characteristics and culture media used.
- Exotoxins and endotoxins.
Also Read: Study Hours for NEET MDS 2017
MYCOLOGY & PARASITOLOGY
This section includes vital topics such as culture media, diseases like candida albicans, amoebiasis, intestinal parasites and malaria. Prepare these topics well to gain an extra edge.
Culture media are important to know from this section. Know its types and various viruses that are grown on specific culture media.
Last, but not the least, meticulously prepare topics hepatitis B and C infections, especially its diagnosis, causative agents and pathogenesis, which are most important since many questions have been asked in previous papers.
- Ananthanarayan and Paniker - Textbook of Microbiology
- Dr. C.P. Baveja - Textbook of Microbiology for Dental Students
Also Read: Best Books for NEET MDS 2017 Preparation
We hope this blog will assist you with the strategy and topics to prepare microbiology for MDS entrance exams.
Stay motivated and prepare prudently..
Keep Following PrepLadder for More Updates!!